Wednesday, November 16, 2011

one of those days

I had one of those days today.  we’ve all had ‘em.  you know – when 1 thing happens.  and then another.  and then another.  and you kind of feel like you should just go back home and hide out ‘til the next day and start over.

:)

ok, I didn’t really get to the point where I just wanted to go to bed and start fresh in the morning.  amidst the mishaps, my joy remains.  :)

the good news is, I was in the suburban…

so this morning we all went down to Loveland, CO.  Paul & Cristine and the kids were meeting with friends and I needed to find a cheap pair of jeans since my last pair of non-holey jeans just got big holes in them last week.  I took the suburban to go find jeans.  I found a great deal at this one place, so I got them.  then I thought I should at least look a few other places just in case I could find something better (although 2 pairs for $30?  totally a steal).  it was then that a big dodge diesel truck towing a big trailer rear-ended me at a stop light (the light was yellow, I stopped, the truck apparently didn’t).  amazingly, the only damage to the suburban was to the back bumper, which got dented and shoved around a little so we couldn’t get the back doors open (but later Paul took part of the bumper off and the doors work again).  the truck had more damage than the suburban. when I got out of the suburban, I kept apologizing to the guy and asked if I slowed too fast and he started laughing and was like, “dude…it totally wasn’t your fault!!”  :)  I guess it’s just my nature to assume it was my fault somehow.  and even though I feel terrible that I was driving Paul & Cristine’s suburban, I am at the same time incredibly thankful that I wasn’t driving Zeva because she would have crunched a whole lot more and I probably would be hurting a lot more than I am tonight.

I get everything squared away with the po-po and then decided that the $10 uber comfy sweat pants I had seen when I got my jeans earlier were now OK to buy because I had just been in an accident.  :)  at the time, they just seemed like extra clothes that I didn’t need and I don’t have the money for them anyway.  but now, I had them justified.  so I went back and bought them.  :)

ok so then I go meet up with Paul and the kids and the other kids he was watching at Chick-Fil-A while Cristine was at a lunch with friends.  suddenly, I feel this little kid’s cup drop behind me on my side of the booth.  I turn to get it for him and realize it was a bottle of chocolate milk…that was open.  so now I have chocolate milk on my back.  at this point, I don’t even care if it stained my shirt.  the poor dad was kept apologizing and saying how embarrassed he was.  I wanted to say, “dude…I have strep throat, i just got rear ended, and anyway, I am around kids all the time…this is nothing!” but then I thought that actually might make him feel bad if he knew I was sick and had just had an accident so I just reassured him it was totally fine.  :)  I did also consider asking if he’d like to donate to the ministry (I had heard their table talking about church so I thought for sure I’d have a good candidate).  totally kidding.  no, ok I really did jokingly consider asking him.  that part is true.  :)

and then the least climatic but still funny just because it followed the other 2 incidents.  we were on our way home and the boys started fighting and one threw a rubber ball and it hit me in the head.  hahaha :)

tonight while the kids were at AWANA, Paul, Cristine & I went to the Tortilla Factory for dinner and then got starbucks and talked at Barnes & Noble.  a good way to end a day that was long for all of us. Oh but I just remembered - my car wouldn't unlock when I got to Tortilla Factory...so I was stuck in my car trying to get it open and Paul and Cristine walk by and wave and I motion toward the lock on my car but I guess they just thought I was excited to see them. Which I totally was. Come on, now. They're super cool people! But I was also being held hostage by my car. Eventually it decided it was ok to let me unlock the door.

so. Here i sit.   popped a couple motrin.  got out the heating pad.  we’re good to go.  thankful for God’s protection.  thankful for the joy of knowing Him because He sustains me even when days don’t go how I would have planned.  I honestly never got mad at any point today.  thankful for God’s grace.

now I will go to bed and see what tomorrow holds.

:)

No comments: