Saturday, September 17, 2005

my views on Velvet Elvis

ha - fooled ya :) i've decided i'm not going to give my views on Velvet Elvis on here and this is why. i thought the book was excellent. and i came across paragraphs in there that people have pulled out and pointed their fingers at, and i realized that if they had actually read the rest of the book, even just the chapter, they would realize they totally pulled the paragraph out of context. that's how rob bell speaks/writes. he'll be sarcastic. he'll think out of the box. he'll give a "what if..." but then come back to it and explain why that "what if..." could never be true. i think that's one reason he's so often misquoted and misunderstood.

so i've decided i won't go into much discussion about the book with people unless they have read it in it's entirety. if you've read it, awesome - i'd love to discuss it with you, even if you thought it was a horrible book. actually, i welcome those kinds of discussions. i know my mind is finite and i have an extreme lack of knowledge :) that's why i want people to read the book so i can get other's views on it. i'm more than open to discussing problems people have with the book that i may have overlooked or not caught on to - as long as they've read the book in it's entirety. and i don't know if i'm spelling that word right, but it looks good enough.

i will say this. the book has challenged me to look at how i live my life and who i'm living it for. it's challenged me to know my Savior more, to be like Him, to live my life as close to His as possible. now if there's something wrong about that, i would have to whole heartedly disagree with you. violently. haha okay just kidding on the violently part :)

keep it real.
~jen~

oh yes, and i would like to give a shout out to my favorite brother because it's his birthday and i love him so much! i doubt you'll ever see this, bro, but HAPPY BIRTHDAY ANDY!

2 comments:

Valerie said...

Hey! I'm picking up my copy of Velvet Elvis hopefully this week and would so love to discuss it as I trudge through it. We're going through some basic theology on Wednesday evenings at WC with Pastor Doug and he was quoting from Bell's book last week. Yah, slightly controversial --- I'm curious to read it in its entirety and see how it "speaks" for itself. Don't know if you've been chatting with Pastor Doug about the whole emerging church or not, but he's been studying it a lot lately and I'm sure he'd be much more adept (and better equipped) at answering/conversing over these questions than I, but I'm willing to go the distance and try to understand this "conversation." Will keep you posted on my progress!

---V

Unknown said...

i wish wednesday night services were recorded and on the web. :) do you remember what passages he quoted?