Monday, December 06, 2010

fire alarm

this morning at 2:45am I woke up to the sound of my roommates rushing around, running out the door.  I could faintly hear a “beeep…beeep…beeep…”  I soon realized they were freaking out because the fire alarm was going off.  I rolled over, thinking, “ugh – dumb thing, I’m SO not getting out of bed.”  but then I realized EVERYONE was jumping up and running out the door so I thought, “ok, will I get in trouble if I don’t evacuate?  like, is it mandatory?”  I decided I didn’t want to risk getting in trouble (at that time in the morning, I couldn’t figure out if it was illegal or not to not evacuate…although it SHOULD be a voluntary evacuation…just sayin’…).  so I slowly climbed out of bed, rummaged through my drawer to find warm things to put on (priorities, first – I didn’t want to freeze outside - I settled for 2 hoodies and my snowpants), stuck my phone in my pocket, and leisurely made it outside.

then we all sat in the admin building (which was really cold but I, having priorities and taking the time to properly suit up before evacuating, was comfortable…while others were in shorts and freezing…hehe – that’s what they get for freaking out).  we got to go back to our rooms by about 3:15am I think.

I tried really hard not to fully “wake up” but it was still enough to wake me up and I couldn’t fall back asleep ‘til at least 5am.  I was bummed.  I’m so tired today.  but it’s OK.

and PS, there was no fire.

ha – I suppose, though, if there ever were to be a fire, then I’d regret being so relaxed about it.

but seriously, evacuations should be voluntary.

that reminds me of the time some of us girls lived in the extended stay hotel by LU and had the fire alarm go off in the middle of the night…

3 comments:

R said...

Jennifer M----. (I don't know if you post your last name on here, so I won't give anything away.) I wish it WAS illegal to skip an evacuation. Evacuations should NOT be optional because if the fire is worse than you think it is then someone's husband or dad (or wife or mother) has to go in after you and potentially could not come home to their family again. Yes, its mostly false alarms, but don't be dilly dallying when it comes to the real thing. The only way to know its not the real thing is to get outside and figure it out. I'm selfish enough to want my husband to come home and not die bc somebody didn't think it was real and just sat around till it was too late. There is my speech. I am descending from the soapbox now. :) I'm glad it was fake. I'm glad you were warm. I'm glad you didn't freak out... bc even if it was real, freaking out is probably not helpful either. haha

Unknown said...

oh my goodness i totally just got the smack down from a police man's wife! :D

to-che (too-shay...i don't know how to spell it).

i stand corrected. rebuked. changed. you brought up some really good, convicting points. like the fact that if it were a real fire and i stayed behind, someone else would have to risk their life to save me. oh sad. i'm a bad person.

ok, next time - i'll try really hard not to weigh the consequences of staying behind. instead, i will happily pop out of bed and make my way quickly outside. with a big smile on my face. and then i'll give the firemen hugs.

Marissa said...

...and how does one even manage to put on TWO hoodies?