Monday, October 08, 2012

i am not the same

a year and 1/2 ago, if you had told me I’d be on a worship team – I may have thrown up on you (OK maybe not that extreme, but my stomach would’ve turned and I would’ve said “no…I don’t think so”)

a year ago, if you had told me I’d be living in a small town in Wyoming – I would’ve laughed and sarcastically told you you’re cute.

a year ago, if you had told me I may go a whole year without visiting the islands I call home – I would’ve said there was no way.

a year ago, if you had told me I’d be on staff at a church – I would’ve wrinkled up my face and said, “mmm…probably not”.

a year ago, if you had told me I would share for nearly 10 minutes in front of 260+ people – I would’ve ran to the giant bean bag that I love at my friend’s house, curled up in a ball, and buried myself in it for…days.

a year ago, if you had told me I’d be leading worship – I would’ve thrown up on you (no, really - that one’s for real this time).

a year ago, if you had told me I’d be leading entire worship gatherings – I probably would’ve had a heart attack right then and there.

a year ago, if you had told me all of the above would be possible by God’s power and strength – I would’ve agreed, wanting to believe God could really do that, though not totally believing God would do it.

now I can truly say I believe my God can do anything.  nearly all my life, I would’ve told you God could do anything – and I believed it.  but I didn’t always live like I believed it.  fear and worry had such a grip on my life.

I am blown away by the power of God.  I am not the same person I was a year ago because of the power of God that breaks chains of strongholds that weigh us down.  strongholds that keep us from living lives fully alive & fully dependent on our Creator.

and I am so beyond thankful for my family and friends who God’s surrounded me with.  for the ones who don’t take fear-driven “no’s” for an answer.  for the ones who cover me in prayer time and time again.  for the ones who are willing to ask the hard questions.  for the ones who show me God’s grace, over and over.

I write this because I so strongly desire for YOU to know that God is real.  He is mighty.  He is strong.  He has incredible plans for YOU that you could never imagine.  and any fear that is holding you back from pursuing what you know He is calling you to do IS able to be conquered by His strength and power alone.

I am not the same.  may you know His unfailing love and His almighty power and may you be able to say the same – whether it be now, or a year from now.

No comments: