Friday, August 26, 2011

week 1–kids, chai, and lefty guitars

week 1 of my temporarily relocation to Cheyenne, WY is quickly coming to a close.  actually it didn’t come quickly.  the week has gone slow – not in a bad way though.  it’s just felt oddly slow.

oh – PS.  I call this my temporarily relocation because a “move” sounds too permanent and committal.  and, wanting to fit in with my generation, I try to be as non-committal as possible.  totally kidding.  ok, like 1/2 kidding.  but I’m making no promises that I’ll make it thru the cold winter.

I just finished a chai.  with espresso.  aka a dirty chai.  espresso’s coursing thru my veins right now.  can you tell?

ok so this post might be more sporadic than others.  I blame it on the espresso.

my fingers are FREEZING.  I should’ve brought gloves to this coffee shop.  but who thinks to bring gloves with them in 85 degree weather?

so, after almost a week here, I’ve had it confirmed that I will probably not struggle with being alone for too long involuntarily.  2 days this week we had 12 kids under the age of 12 at the house.  plus like…6 or 8 adults over the course of the day.  it’s been fun!  at one point I had like 6 kids (which I think all of them were under the age of 6) surrounding me as I sat on the couch and each was trying to tell me a story (except the 1 year old – he was just trying to put small objects in his mouth).  chaos?  yes.  but very entertaining.

I need to get a job so I can support myself going to the coffee shop regularly for quiet time and chai.

speaking of jobs – I’ve sent in 4 resumes this week (they were all my resumes – although maybe I should have sent in other people’s so I’d have a better chance of getting a job).  there’s like 3 of them that I am really interested in.

oh my goodness I’m freezing.  somebody cut the a/c!!

ok I did something that maybe I shouldn’t have but I did and maybe it was OK to do it (wow, hi espesso).  I went to Guitar Center in Park Meadows, CO on Wednesday while my aunt and cousin were in IKEA (which is almost inevitably always a minimum of a 2 hour shopping event).  they had 1 lefty guitar – an Ibanez acoustic/electric.  it was black with like flame-type things around the hole.  I wasn’t crazy about the flame-type things.  and it was $329.  which my ideal budget was $350.  but the case was like $80.  so that would’ve been too much, plus I’d be stuck with non-extinguishable flames I didn’t like.  plus I don’t have a job yet.  no job=no income=no money for a guitar.  but I did find out they have a 30-day return policy.

so yesterday my cousins and I went to the Guitar Center in Fort Collins, CO and they had 1 lefty guitar – a Fender acoustic, natural color.  she looks like a Taylor…only with “Ibanez” written on her.  she was $229.  so with the case, she came out under $350…which was my ideal budget.  I would prefer an acoustic/electric, but really I just need any lefty to test out and see if I really do want to switch to a lefty.  so…knowing there was a 30-day return policy…and knowing I had a Guitar Center credit card that allows me to have 0% financing for 12 months…I bought her.  ok but don’t freak out.  I firmly decided that when 30 days is coming up, I will return her if I don’t have a job.  I’m committing to that (wow – committing – such a new concept…j/k).  and, if when 30 days is approaching, I have gotten no where in picking up the lefty, I will return her and refocus back on the right-handed guitar and try not to chuck it at anybody in frustration with my strum deficiency.  I’m committing to that as well.

so like, I bought her, but I didn’t “really” buy her.

and if you’d still like to donate toward my guitar fund, please feel free to!

ok dude – I am frozen.  I have to get out of here.

time to go home and pick up the lefty.  and play my keyboard.  and practice espanol.

3 comments:

Lisa said...

yay lefty! can't wait to hear it goes for ya.

Jessica said...

You can send me a recording anytime! Keep updating us on your move that's not really a move, but kinda sorta is. :)

Jessica said...

Oh, and I've never tried a dirty chai... but, I may have to soon! Thanks for the new drink idea. :)