Thursday, September 13, 2012

checking in

the past 2 weeks of my life have been especially busy.  hence the lack of posting.

I used to think I wanted to be busy from the time I woke up in the morning ‘til the time I went to bed at night.  I love being around people, so the thought of not being on the go and not being around people didn’t sound appealing to me.

I’m also not very good at telling people “no”.

meanwhile, I’ve felt the increasing longing to be able to be still.  to be able to study the Word or take time to spend in prayer or listen to a podcast from one of my favorite pastors.  or read a good book that challenges me or leaves me in awe of my God, my Savior.

I remember last fall, I ended up with this 6-week temp job at the Secretary of State.  on the weekends, we’d travel to Torrington for worship team rehearsal and church.  but other than that, I didn’t have any other obligations.  so I got to read.  a lot.  and drink a lot of french press coffee with my cousins.  and take time to be still.  and I felt so much more focused.

right now I just feel scattered.  :)

I’m realizing that by filling up my days and being on the go all the time, it adds up to a lot of…noise.  noise that keeps me away from the quiet, sweet times with my Savior.  noise that keeps me scatter brained and distracted, taking me away from my focus.

I was reminded today by a friend that by telling someone “yes” to something, you’re saying “no” to something else.  and sometimes that’s OK.  but I wonder how often I say “yes” to someone or something for fear of letting someone down, and inadvertently end up saying “no” to something that was actually a lot more important. 

deep.

ironically, (although with God…nothing’s actually ironic) I ended up coming down with this cold last weekend that knocked me down for the first 1/2 of this week.  today is the first day I felt my energy had come back and I could actually breathe again.  at the beginning of the week, when I first got sick, my thought was, “I cannot afford to be sick right now!!”  but it forced me to slow down (ok, only a little).

we need to make the time and take the time to do what fills us.  what brings us deeper in our love of Jesus.  what brings us in awe of our Creator, the God of all.  it’s so crucial for all of us!

turn down the noise.

No comments: