Thursday, December 29, 2011

Zealous

I'm attempting to read thru the Bible yet again (I've attempted this many times and stop around Leviticus/Numbers every time). This morning I read in Numbers 25 about the Israelites and Phinehas. The Lord was furious with the Israelites who had started worshipping the Baal of Peor and was going to destroy all those who had turned from Him to worship this other god.

Enter: Phinehas. This dude sees blatant sin go on right before his eyes and he immediately puts an end to it (it's um...not pleasant. Go read Numbers 25, it's a short chapter).

Because of Phinehas' willingness to stand up for God's honor, the Lord turned His anger away from the Israelites. The Lord said, "Phinehas...has turned my anger away from the Israelites; for he was as zealous as I am for my honor among them..."

Wow. Phinehas understood the holiness of God. He understood what sin was and he was determined to fight for the Lord's honor. He was willing to stand up for the Lord's glory.

I'm not saying we should go run spears thru people (go read Num. 25 if you didn't yet...I know you didn't...go read it!). But what would it look like to be zealous for the honor of God in our lives?

1 comment:

Marissa said...

interesting! I want to go read that story now! I love that verse, "he was as zealous as I am for my honor"...