Thursday, August 16, 2012

the day Smith Optics made me smile

this is a shameless, unsolicited plug for my favorite pair of sunglasses.

probably 3 or 4 years ago, I scored a pair of Smith sunglasses (Smith Optics), the Gallegos model with polarized lenses (because in the Keys, polarized is the only legit way to go).  and I mean scored.  as in, I think I paid $20 for them. :) one of the marine stores in town was moving to a new location and so they were selling all their inventory for dirt cheap.

I loved these Smith Gallegos sunglasses.  they accompanied me on many trips all over the US and around the world.  they went out on many boat rides & fishing trips with me.  they helped me win every beach volleyball match I ever played (…hey, this is MY story, I can make up whatever I want!).  ok I haven’t won every match I’ve played.  you got me.  lying is not my forte.

back on track…

but eventually, the lenses became so scratched that it drove my eyes nuts to wear them.

and I was very sad.

I then scored a great pair of Costas that I love as well.  however, they just weren’t like my Smiths.  and every so often I would pull out my Smiths and put them on, hoping the scratches had gone away.

but they never did.

then one day I got smart.  I decided to send them in to Smith Optics to see if the lifetime warranty would cover them.  and since they’re a fixed-lens, they can’t just replace the lenses.  so I sent them in, 1/2 expecting to get a call from customer service asking if I wanted to purchase a replacement pair.  to which I probably would’ve sadly declined because money is also not my forte right now.

alas, within a week, UPS pulls up to my door.  my heart leapt for joy with anticipation of what that great person in brown would deliver.

dog bones for the dogs!!!

NO!  I mean, yes – they did.  but that’s not the point…

my friends, Smith Optics has made my day.  they sent me a brand new pair of the Gallegos sunglasses!!  including a sticker!!  (hey, those of us with sticker-drenched guitar cases get excited about new stickers to add to the conglomeration)

um.  Smith Optics might quite possibly be my most favorite sunglasses brand EVER.

and if you work for Smith, you can pay me now for gaining you tons of business!  :)

I just want to wear my new sunglasses and run around!!!  except…it’s dark out.

“I wear my sunglasses at night…”

(does anyone actually know the rest of that song?  I think not.)

No comments: