Wednesday, May 16, 2012

my drive home today

signs that I still haven’t quite adjusted to fitting in out West:

  • today I was driving down a dirt road and the car right in front of me swerved.  I thought there must’ve been a bunny or something.  as I got to the same point they swerved at, I saw there was a snake stretched out across the road, taking his time crossing it.  to which I had 2 immediate reactions, both of which I don’t think a local would’ve thought:
    • why didn’t they run over the thing with their big truck?!  swerve to miss a snake??  a potentially lethal-biting, venomous snake?!
    • why didn’t they stop to look at it?!  it’s a snake!  how cool is that?!

as I drove past, I suddenly felt like I was back at day 1 of learning how to drive a stick shift.  I braked quick, then pushed the gas, then braked quick again, then pushed the gas – trying to decide whether to stop and get out and look at it or whether to go along with the truck in front of me and appear cool, pretending to be un-phased by seeing this foreign specimen in the road.  about 1/4 mile down the road, I couldn’t take it anymore.  I threw my desire to be cool to the wind and turned around to go back and see the snake.  then I learned another thing.  snakes can move fast when they want to.  sadly, he was gone.  otherwise I would’ve taken a picture to share, for sure.

  • as I got back on the road after my snake detour, I passed a truck and the guy inside had a totally legit cowboy hat on.  I immediately exclaimed, out loud, “OOOH!  A cowboy!!  A real cowboy!!!  THAT’S SO COOL!!”  I’ve learned, since coming out here, that that kind of comment in front of a cowboy is totally uncool.  but I was alone in my car and I couldn’t contain my excitement.  :)

as I thought about it, I realized that me getting excited about seeing a cowboy up here is like someone coming to the Keys and seeing a sailboat and getting super excited.  if we were in the Keys and you did that, I would be like, “um…yeah…it’s a…sailboat…1 of like 50 million down here…killer…”  so when I put that into perspective, I suddenly started to realize why people often don’t join me in my excitement up here when I see someone wearing a cowboy hat and boots.  therefore, I will try very hard not to express my excitement when I see cowboys up here.  but inwardly…I am jumping up and down with a big smile on my face.

  • after the cowboy sighting (it was a very exciting, insightful drive home for me today), I passed the sale (sell?) barn where they sell live stock.  as I approached it, I wondered if I’d ever be able to stop by and see what it’s all about.  I’m curious!  it’s intriguing!  I’ve never been to such a place!  I figured I’d probably stand out.  I took inventory of the vehicles as I passed and they were all big hefty trucks and SUVs.  and then the clincher.  I saw an SUV pulling out so I took a look to see what kind of people go to the sale barn.  wouldn’t you know, the guy had a cowboy hat on.  yeah…pretty sure I would stand out like a sore thumb in that place.  :)  therefore, my curiosity and intrigue will just have to continue!

I love it here though.  :)  yes, I’m often dreaming of islands and blue/teal waters and palm trees and beach volleyball and hammocks on the beach and people that I love (…and the list goes on).  but I love the people here, too.  I joke about how well I don’t fit in, but I really do enjoy it here!  God is doing awesome things in and thru people and this community is in desperate need of revival.  there’s a water drought here right now, but there’s an even bigger spiritual drought.

Father, rain down!

1 comment:

Marissa said...

You totally need a cowboy hat. Not a pink one though, because I know that's the first color you would pick out.

I'm so glad you like it where you are at :) Remember when you really really didn't want to move to Torrington?