Thursday, May 03, 2012

whose feet can I wash today?

I don’t know about you, but I so easily slip into that universe where I’m the center and, since I’m the center, everything obviously is all about me.  actually you probably haven’t been to this particular universe because, well, I’m the only one there.  but maybe you have your own universe.

I am finding that the more trouble I have loving people, and the more lonely I feel, and the more unfulfilled I feel – the more I realize how selfishness has creeped back into my heart.  man, it comes in so subtly sometimes.  but before long, it’s taken over.

I found myself in this slump a couple weeks ago.  I was processing through where I was at with a friend and realized all the frustrations and hopelessness I was feeling could pretty much all be pinpointed on selfishness.

so what’s the best antidote for selfishness?  “one anothers”. 

I’m reading this book called “Real Worship” by Warren Wiersbe and there’s this section in there that talks about various places in the New Testament of the Bible where we are told to do (or not to do) things in regards to one another.  I was challenged by my friend to read through these “one anothers”, so over the past week and a 1/2 so far I’ve been taking 1 or 2 of the Scripture references each day and spending time reading the surrounding passage and contemplating what it looks like to actually live these “one anothers” out.  so this was the first one on the list…

“Now that I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also should wash one another’s feet.” – Jesus (John 13:14, NIV)

You might be familiar with the setting of this verse.  Jesus has just washed the feet of His disciples, an act of true servant-hood.  Jesus was displaying what He was calling His disciples to do – and what He is calling us to do as well.

I always read this passage and just get the basic “serve one another” application out of it.  killer.  and I move on.

but Jesus is actually like, commanding us to wash one another’s feet.  ok maybe not necessarily literally wash someone’s feet (although you could and the person might be weirded out but at the same time it is a super humbling experience…and they leave with nice clean feet).  but back when this story took place, the act of washing someone’s feet was reserved as a servant’s job.  it was not something someone of any social worth would probably do.  Peter actually told Jesus there was no way He was going to wash his feet – this was the Messiah, the Savior of the world!  but Jesus washed his feet (Jesus always wins :) ).

so what does it mean for us, today?  washing someone’s feet means being willing to perform even the most menial tasks for one another.  to which you might ask, what does menial mean?  ok so I know I at least asked that when I read it last week.  I knew the jist of what it meant.  but I looked up the meaning and found these definitions:

menial: lowly & sometimes degrading; submissive; pertaining to or suitable for domestic servants; humble

washing one another’s feet is not always going to be easy or pretty or convenient.  after all, serving almost always requires an element of sacrifice. 

so I’ve started trying to start off every morning asking Jesus, “whose feet can I wash today?”  it has been a-mazing. it’s taken on so many different forms.  I don’t want this to come across as boasting about what I’ve done the last week and a 1/2.  I just want to give a few examples of what washing one another’s feet has looked like to me lately.  it’s looked like taking time to meet with people for lunch or for coffee.  like trying to help carry the load of taking 5 extra kids in for 5 days (that was insane, entertaining, chaotic, and incredibly rewarding all at the same time).  like taking a few extra minutes when I ordered my coffee at the local coffee shop to encourage the girl who was stressing out about her college final this week that if she doesn’t pass, she won’t graduate.  literally opportunities to wash other’s feet have been falling in my lap.

it’s amazing how many opportunities present themselves to serve others when we are actively seeking opportunities.  when we are actively seeking out other people.  God is so faithful.  if we ask Him who He wants us to serve, He will be faithful to show us.  that has been so evident to me these past days!  when I get the focus off myself and onto Jesus and others, my world changes dramatically.

His grace is so sweet.  He is so merciful.

whose feet can you wash today?

1 comment:

Marissa said...

Thank you so much for this encouragement. I, also, have come to realize the times that I am least satisfied in myself is when I am focusing only on myself and ignoring the needs of everyone else around me. Yesterday someone was bringing in big boxes of coffee and kitchen supplies so I got up and helped grab a box from her car, not a big deal, right? She acted like it meant the world to her and how simple was it for me? Anyways, you're right, serving isn't always difficult...sometimes it is more than others, but not always! Serving is ALWAYS a blessing and it is always obedience!