Friday, March 22, 2013

why I love my naturopath doctor

I went to my naturopath doctor yesterday (Dr. Dan) for a normal, maintenance check-up.

-my ankle has never fully healed from spraining it a year ago.  I finally decided I might as well ask him if he could test it to see if it wanted something.  sure enough, my ankle was angry.  Dr. Dan tried a lot of different tests on it and wasn’t finding what it wanted.  but he didn’t give up.  he tried a 3rd round of tests and BAM!  found a match.  I’m now taking a total joint supplement to try and heal ‘er up the rest of the way.  expensive bottle of supplements…but worth it if it heals it back up.

-apparently, the parasite I had back in january is a hardy little booger and is still clinging on for dear life.  I don’t feel bad for the thing.  he must die.  the fact that there is a parasite in my body creeps me out and if I dwell on it too long, I’ll probably throw up.  which may not be a bad thing.  maybe it’d dislodge him… hmm… that might not be a bad idea, actually…

HA – totally kidding.

Dr. Dan put me on a stronger parasite killer supplement, but he also told me I should claim my parasite on my taxes (as a dependent).  I thought this was a marvelous idea, maybe I’d actually get money back.  except I already filed my taxes.  I could, however, file an amendment… but we (me, Dr. Dan, and my friend Kendra who was also there) decided that then my parasite required a name.  so we named him Pablo.  “Helll-lo Pablo, you keel my eensides…preeeepare to die!” (in my very best Spanish accent)

-and finally, the most exciting news from my visit (because normally I wouldn’t blog about my trip to the naturopath dr because generally that would be lame) --- after being born with no sense of smell and living my whole life with really no concept of what “smell” is like….drum roll please…  I still can’t smell.  HA!  NO!  wait!  Dr. Dan says he can fix my smeller!!!  WHAT?!  YES!  apparently he did this laser-to-the-back-of-the-head treatment on a patient like 10 years ago who had no sense of smell and it fixed it!  I’m not totally convinced it will work for me, but I figure I might as well try it.  so he is going to do some research and get back to me.  if he’s able to fix my smeller, trust me – you’ll know.  I will probably post approximately 1,057 different blog entries about things I’m smelling.

after all this, however, I want to be clear that my faith is not in human doctors or their supplements/antibiotics/whatever remedies.  God is the Ultimate Healer and He is the one to receive all glory and praise.  when He heals, He’s good.  and when He chooses not to heal, He’s still good.  but I do really like the naturopath way of going about taking care of our bodies – doing it the natural way using natural elements of God’s creation.

No comments: